Friday, January 18, 2008

A Birthday at Grandma's and Grandpa's House

We drive up. Just like always, the small blue house smiles its welcome. The fake candles are in the windows. I know just how it will be. We will all run up to the door. Allison or Sarah of course will be able to ding the door bell. Nathan will hide and we will all tell him not too. Then after a few seconds the door will open to reveal smiling Grandma and Grandpa. We walk inside, take of our shoes. Bethany and Michaela were at Grandma's house already to help her. We all choose a balloon like always. The twins get the special balloon. We go to the table. We all sit down and pray. Then Bethany, Michaela, Nathan, and I pass out the food. We all eat. We all say it was delicious. Then we get up and clear the dishes. Grandma cleans them Bethany loads them into the dish washer. Then we get out the Ice cream pie. We put candles in and sing. We eat it all up. Who can't resist. The phone rings. Grandpa gets it. He talks for awhile. He gets off. We all get up and go to the family room. I go into Dad's old bedroom. I pull the string on a little music box. The music is almost haunting. What story does it hold? I will never know. We bring the presents out. The twins open them. There are ooh's and aah's all around. I remember a little gold elephant in Dad's old room. I bring it out. It was a piggy bank. I find out how to open it. Old coins from 1940 and older come out. Tax tokens. I have never heard of them before but now I do. We search for another piggy bank and find it. Oh dear it is locked. Bethany figures out how to pick it opened. Grandma brings out other coins. I hold a coin from 1887. Wow. My fingers are blackened from the dust and grime. It is time to go. Hugs all around. Presents in the car. We all pile in. Just as we start to drive away we open the windows. We all yell bye. The neighbors must be thinking "another Hammermaster birthday." Yes, I smile as we stop the car infront of the house. I do not know what we will find but all I know is that I will enjoy it. 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful time! Old coins are so cool! I have a few.

Katie said...

Really! I have a small coin collection. Suddenly though 1956 isn't looking so old. It was amazing holding something from 1874.

lindy said...

hahahaha I love you Katie. <3

Katie said...

thankyou I love you all too.

emily said...

I love you too, Katie. :-)

MJ said...

Katie, Katie, Katie. You are a funny one. *smiles small, then smiles bigger*

Katie said...

Thankyou all. I really like to see new comments on my blog. Now I just need to think of something interesting to Post about . . .

Anonymous said...

Ooh! I know! Post about that cute little tea place you went to the other and told me about!

Katie said...

Yes yes yes! I will

lindy said...

Tea place? And you went without me??? Katie darling, I'm hurt!

JUST KIDDING!!

I would love to hear about it. :-)

Katie said...

Well you need to come out here and have tea with me :)